Saturday, November 29, 2008

Variation on white-bean salad


I had marinated peppers and eggplant leftover from last night's sandwich, so I tossed them with drained and rinsed white beans (I use organic haricots), a few kalamata olives, and a clove of crushed garlic. I even warmed it briefly in the microwave, just to take the chill off it on this cold, cold day.

Other additions, depending on your mood and what's on hand:

- torn fresh basil leaves
- prosciutto or Italian salami, or those fat little slices of real Italian pepperoni
- freshly grated parm
- a few sun-dried tomatoes

Oh, the possibilities!






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog! Awesome recipes, can't wait to give some a try. I found you from Li loves David...I noticed your comment about gluten causing you to go into a-fib. I've never come across anyone else with that symptom! I just thought I was an oddball...but I get a rapid heartrate w/gluten and my heart feels fluttery (for lack of a better medical term, lol.).

Anyway, glad to have found your blog!

P. said...

I was reading a study recently of a bunch of middle-aged women, all with a-fib, unknown cause, but when put onto a GF diet, it disappeared. So they tested them for coeliac, and presto . . . they all had it.

They say only 51% of us get GI symptoms, and the rest (49%) get 'other' symptoms. Used to be milder, but now it's crazy how bad it is -- have to be hospitalised and threatened with paddles/shock and drugs if it doesn't stop within 24 hours (risk of stroke is high).

TMI!!! Sorry!

Glad you found me, and hope you like the recipes.

Parisa said...

nice post with this!
i found that you can purchase the gluten free flour from http://shop.oway.com.au/epages/oway.sf/ i cant wait to cook it!

P. said...

Are you in the US? UK? Many supermarkets carry GF flours now . . . and definitely go to health-food type shops if your larger supermarket doesn't carry them.

Here in the UK I like Doves Farms -- absolutely superb. Don't know if they carry that in the US. Cakes come out light and fluffy. It's a blend of several, which is what the best ones are (never use just potato flour, or just rice flour). I find the ones with bean flour too . . . bean-y. You can taste it. Try several until you find the one that works best.

Happy baking!