Sunday, June 29, 2008

White-bean Salad (and variations)



I take this for lunch at school quite often, and when the kids come back after eating (I always eat and work in my room), they always know what I've had. Smells wonderful.

You can use any white beans for this -- I buy tinned organic Haricots. Allow a tin for every two servings. Rinse and drain the beans well, then toss with one clove crushed garlic, 2 Tbsp olive oil, a few fresh basil leaves, a tsp. of lemon juice, some sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and about 10 kalamata olives, torn in half. (In summer, I add local tomatoes.)

That's it -- could not be easier. Good as a side dish, or as lunch. You can also tear up a few strips of prosciutto and add it to the salad. And perhaps a shaving or two of parm or asiago?

Variations . . .

No comments: