Monday, January 19, 2009

Lemon-raspberry buttercream cake


I cue very easily when I see people eating things . . . I was watching a movie the other night, and it was a woman's birthday, and she was eating a slice of very posh cake. Then, too lazy to change the DVD, I watched the movie the next two nights, too. More cake.

Tonight, I knew I had to make a cake. Something nice. I don't like to bother with cooking if it's not really good. Same with anything, really. I like the best. Hence, this cake.

It's my own creation. And yes, it contains dairy, even though I shouldn't. But once in a while, a girl just has to. This is worth it, shall we say? I'm going to slice it up and freeze the rest, so I have something fancy to serve when guests arrive. I still can't get over how well that Doves Farm flour blend works. Amazing. Light, fluffy baked goods every time.

The cake is two round layers, but I made them quite thin (half the usual amount of batter -- I prefer less cake and more filling). To make the batter, first beat well 85 g. butter, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup plain yoghurt, 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tsp lemon zest, and 1 tsp vanilla. When that's well-creamed, beat in 1.5 cps flour, and 2 tsp baking powder. Pour into buttered round cake pans and bake about 25 minutes at 325 (gas mark 4).

After they bake, set them to cool and make up the buttercream. Buttercream is simple -- beat butter and powdered sugar, in a ratio of twice the sugar to butter. As with the cake, I added a tsp of finely grated lemon zest.

When the cakes have cooled, level if necessary, then spread half the buttercream over bottom layer. Top that with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup raspberry preserves, stirred first to smooth it. Place the other cake on top of the preserves, then top that with the other half of the buttercream. Wrap well, and refrigerate.

No comments: