Sunday, May 18, 2008

Kiki's Latkes


We each cook them differently, but this is my daughter's recipe, and it's superb. She likes her latkes dense, and I like mine very lacey and crispy, but I think we both smother them in applesauce.

For each generous serving:

Grate 7-8 ounces of raw potatoes, and place on paper towelling for 5 minutes to absorb liquid.

Place potatoes in a mixing bowl and add one egg, 2 Tbsp minced onion, about 2 T. GF flour mix (or cornstarch), 1/2 tsp baking powder (5 ml), salt, and pepper.

When oil is the right temperature (375 F), fry up your latkes. How you put the mixture into the skillet determines how they come out. I use 2 forks and as I'm placing it into the hot oil, I pull it out from the centre a bit, making it 'lacier' and therefore crispier. To make them dense, use a spoon to put the mixture in, and pat it down slightly.

When brown on bottom, carefully turn over (I use a couple of forks, to prevent them splashing and burning me).When done, drain briefly on paper towels, then serve piping hot with applesauce.





No comments: