Sunday, May 11, 2008

Flourless French chocolate cake, butter-cream, and raspberry preserves

A treat I made at Christmas last year. (Since I just opened this blog, I'm going back through my 'other' blog and pulling out all the recipes and putting them here.)

Yes, it has dairy.

I baked it in a spring-form (about 350 F, or 175 C), leveled it off, filled it with raspberry preserves and a layer of butter-cream icing, then topped it off with more butter-cream . . . all sliced, ready to freeze.

The 'scraps' that I leveled off the top were put into cups with fruit compote and leftover butter-cream . . . or was it whipped cream?

The cake is easy to make: 1 pound of butter, 1 dozen eggs, 1 pound of 70% chocolate, 2 cups of sugar, and a cup of ground almonds. Mix well, and bake.

Butter-cream icing is always twice the sugar as butter (250 gms of butter, 500 gms of icing sugar).

The preserves? I usually use the kind without added sugar, simply because it's like fruit, not all sugary.

Makes a lovely Christmas dessert.

No comments: