Saturday, May 24, 2008

Garlic, kalamata, and egg-white omelette


In the U.S., I used to be able to have this one several times a week, but here, with the price of organic free-range eggs (the equivalent of ten dollars a dozen), I can't. So American readers might be able to indulge in this more often than I can.

It's simple. You need 4 egg whites per serving (either freeze the yolks for future use in a recipe, or discard), 3 cloves of garlic, half a dozen pitted and torn kalamata olives, and a teaspoon or two of olive oil.

Peel and slice the garlic and cook it in the oil, in a skillet, until it's golden (don't cook too long or it will turn bitter). Add the olives, give it a quick stir, then pour in the slightly-beaten egg whites. Cook as you would any other omelette, flipping when the under-side is done. Add lots of freshly grated black pepper before serving.

Sometimes, for supper, I add things in while I'm cooking the garlic: a bit of coarsely-grated zucchini, some well-drained diced tomato, even some shredded prosciutto. I've topped it with a couple of spoonfuls of warmed tomato-basil sauce, too. Those who eat dairy could add cheeses to the top.

No comments: