Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hearty turkey, black-bean, and broccoli soup

This is, as they used to say on Seinfeld, "Soup-Nazi Soup.' It's world-class soup. If I could only have one soup for the rest of my life, this would be the one. Absolutely amazing stuff. Hearty, rich, creamy, divine. I used to make it every year, usually the day after Thanksgiving, and you had to fight me for it if you didn't help make it. This year, I live alone, so I can have the entire pot to myself. I'm turning the chicken carcass into a nice broth tonight, so tomorrow, I'll be eating this soup. Like all my recipes, it's more process than science.

Turkey is the way it's usually done, but chicken will suffice since that's what I cooked today.

1. Make a broth (3-4 cups), and save a cup of chicken bits.

2. In a large soup pot, saute a minced onion and about half a cup of finely diced broccoli stems in 2-3 Tbsp olive oil , retaining the florets for later. Don't use the entire stalk -- only use the tender part of the stalk, nearest to the florets. (Occasionally I spy the odd carrot lurking in the veggie drawer, so I shred it and add it.) Cook until tender, then add 1/2 cup of white wine and simmer a bit longer (10 minutes).

3. Add 3 to 4 cups broth, about a cup of black beans (cooked/rinsed/drained), the florets (broken into small bits), and the sauteed onion mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes or so.

4. Season with salt and pepper, and just before serving, add 1/2 cup light cream (I'll be using soya creamer). Heat through and serve immediately, but don't heat the cream too long, or the cream will separate.

(If you're making soup for more than one meal, divide it into two (or more) pots and put one away; only add cream to the pot you'll be using right away. For the remaining pot(s), heat through when ready to use, and like before, add the cream just before serving.)

Good with a nice crusty baguette to dip into the soup. I'll post a picture tomorrow, and any last minute instructions, when it's done. EDIT: See final post, the next day, here.

No comments: