Sunday, November 7, 2010

Genius Sandwich Contest (Camembert with Cranberry Sauce)

I'm entering the Genius GF Bread sandwich-recipe-contest (the prize is an overnight for two in London, including tea at the Claridge Hotel). But the rules say you can only enter one sandwich, and I can't decide which one. So, I'm going to make a couple, post them here over the next few days, and ask friends to help me choose which would be my best bet for an entry. So, give me a comment, or email me, and tell me what you think of each one, and then maybe you can suggest which one you think I should enter?

For those of you in the UK, have you seen the new Genius adverts on the telly in the evenings? Einstein trying to work, but is distracted by a sandwich on Genius bread. It's the first time I've ever seen ads for anything GF, but with one in every hundred people having coeliac, I'm surprised they haven't advertised other products before. (If you aren't in the UK, or just haven't seen them all, here's the link -- you can watch them on Youtube: Genius Bread TV Adverts . There are something like half a dozen now, I think).

Anyway, here's one sandwich idea -- breaded and deep-fried Camembert with cranberry sauce. (The spoon is one that Genius sent to me, as a promotional item, so I thought I'd fit it into my photos.)

Comments?




RECIPE: Dip quarter-rounds of Camembert in cornflour (cornstarch in the USA), then into beaten egg, then bread crumbs, then repeat back through all three again, pressing coating firmly into cheese to hold breading in place. Deep-fry as you would anything, turning at about 2 minutes, and removing from fat as soon as any cheese starts to ooze out (definitely by 4 minutes). Drain for a minute or two on paper towels, then slice it across (side-to-side), shifting the top layer a bit to the side, exposing the cheese. Add cranberry sauce, and put cheese into a roll or between two slices of bread. Serve warm.

No comments: