Saturday, February 14, 2009

Favourite breakfast


I vary the nuts from time to time (right now I'm into toasted pine nuts, but I also love pecans), but it's fast, easy, nutritious, and will supposedly keep the doctor away ('an apple a day').

I chop an organic apple* and put it into a bowl, add a heaping tablespoonful of raisins over that, then a level tbsp of cinnamon sugar**, the put a saucer over it (you could use paper towels -- I'm just not going to kill trees when I don't have to), and microwave it for about 4-5 minutes.

Whilst it's cooking, toss a tbsp of pine nuts (or pecans, or whatever you like) into a non-stick pan and toast nut over medium heat, shaking the pan halfway through so they turn. They only take a minute or two.

Take the apple out of the microwave, add the nuts on top, and there you have it. Enjoy.

* They say if you eat nothing else organic, get organic apples -- they're the most highly sprayed food you can buy.

** I just keep a jar in the pantry with organic sugar and cinnamon -- for 1/2 cup sugar, I add about 1 tsp cinnamon, and shake it. Then just spoon it out when you need some.

No comments: