Tuesday, December 30, 2008

BBQ Pulled-pork Sandwich


Oh, I know it's not quite the Southeast's smoky flavour, but close enough for me. Now if I just had a mountain each of potato salad and coleslaw on the side, and a pecan pie, I'd be in hog heaven. Or barbecue heaven.

Anyway, I had leftover pulled pork the other day, from the tamales, so I froze it with the idea of a pulled-pork BBQ sandwich in the near future. Today was the day.

To make the pork, just simmer any kind of cheap pork roast (with half an onion, for flavour) until it's literally falling apart (I did mine in the crockpot), then just use two forks and shred it. Easy.
For the sauce, put the following into a blender, puree it, then simmer for 10-15 minutes or so in a covered pot, low heat. (Note to self and others: Do not forget pot-cover, and then leave the room to play backgammon online. There will be orange spots all over your stove, counter, floor, etc, when you return. Even a few far-flung ones on clean dishes in dish rack.)


Sauce:

1 medium onion (chopped)
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 and 1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup GF soy sauce
2 tsp chili paste
1/4 cup water

The sauce will darken and thicken as you cook it.

Once both are done, determine the ratios of each that you like, mix them together, and heat through on low. I simmered this sauce recipe down to about . . . just over a cup(?), and used it with about 3-4 cups shredded pork. Extra of either will store just fine in the fridge (or freezer).



No comments: